• jmcs
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

it sucks when Apple gimps file sharing for everyone by refusing to use standards

Fixed it for you. If Apple supported RCS this wouldn’t happen. But I guess you prefer to follow Tim Cook’s monopolistic solution and buy them an iPhone /s.

• RandomBit@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

RCS doesn’t have a cross-platform end-to-end encryption solution. For cross-platform communication, cross-platform 3rd party solutions such as Signal work well.

• pivotraze@infosec.pub
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

RCS would still be a benefit to incorporate without the E2E solution, as it would improve nearly every other aspect of communication over SMS/MMS.

• RandomBit@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I 100% agree that Apple wrong for not supporting RCS (and I am an iPhone user). However, I personally choose to only use E2E for my communication be that iMessage or Signal.

• pivotraze@infosec.pub
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Oh, I agree and would love to do the same. However, moving any of my family who currently uses Android over to any other platform is impossible. I can’t tell my wife I won’t text her anymore unless she uses it. That won’t go over well hahah

Where possible, I use encrypted communication, but if doing so would result in me cutting off a friend or family member, I won’t do so.

However, I would love to be able to text Android users without crappy quality and the other limitations of SMS/MMS.

• @RandomBit @jmcs I prefer #Matrix.

I don’t find #Signal or #Telegram (which is worse, it’s basically a honeypot) to be particularly secure, but I don’t see anything other than something like those platforms catching on with the masses as a sort of #USA-centric #Whatsapp-style replacement for text messaging.

Both #Apple and #Google need to come up with a consensus on the successor for #MMS, or else I could see another platform or app replacing both.

• bird@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

I don’t really care either way. 99% of the people in my circles use iOS and so this problem minimally impacts me. If they get a crappy compressed version of a photo while everyone else gets the full res, 🤷🏼‍♀️.