Fairly new neovim user here, so bear with me if I don’t get everything.

I’m using neovim with Telescope and I often struggle with the following process: I want to be able to easily save my past yanks and deletions and fuzzily find the one that interest me now. Is there a way to configure Telescope to look into registers for that ?

Also, is there a way to keep the history of deletion as well ? Sometimes I’m deleting A, deleting B, deleting C and want to past A which is no longer accessible (unless I remember to put it in a named register in the first place, which I rarely do).

• bzahOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    4 months ago

I found out there is actually a builtin function in telescope to fuzzy search in registers. In case someone is interested, I made this binding to access it (lua):

vim.keymap.set('n', '<leader>se', require('telescope.builtin').registers, { desc = '[S]earch r[E]gister' })

I’m not yet sure how to keep the history of deletion though.

• Capricorn@lemmy.today
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      4 months ago

Whenever you delete something, nvim copies it in a register. Which register it puts in depends on the command. Honestly, I’ve always been confused from all these registers for two reasons:

• too many registers, most of them never used
      • they don’t pair with the OS clipboard, so even Just copying-pasting in a different terminal or into a browser is impossible

So, I just use my OS clipboard (KDE Plasma has a clipboard manager built-in) and osc52 plugin (but support for osc52 will is built-in in nightly). If you really want to use registers, you could try to copy all of them into only one and use that.