I have heard good things about nobara. I don’t mind doing a little thinkering to have things work but I also don’t want to spend hours doing recharch on how to fix things.

Edit: thanks for giving input everyone. I will try Linux mint and if it does not go well will give nobara a go instead.

Edit part two I had to boot mint in compatibility mode because I got black screen for like 15+ minutes and then I couldn’t get it to see more than one monitor and 3 hours later gave up…Just put on nobara will load mint to my laptop and try to learn more because I want to but also tryna game :) you will hear more from me

• @unreliable
    link
    83 months ago

Yes, nvidia can be a bit of pain. Normally you a install proprietary drivers and it works, not always. AMD just works.

• @png
      link
      63 months ago

AMD “just works” unless you dare expect hardware encoding that you explicitly picked your card based on to work properly

• Yeah, if you’re planning on doing anything fancy (e.g. RTX, FSR/DLSS, streaming w/ a specific encoding, etc), do some digging to check compatibility on Linux, you may need a newer kernel or something. If you just want a general experience (e.g. mostly playing/using apps on default settings), it’s less of a concern.

• @unreliable
        link
        13 months ago

Well, that sounds better than be unable to login because kernel unattended update breaks nvidia drivers.

• @png
          link
          23 months ago

Depends, unless you wanted to record/stream in higher-than-toaster quality until a month ago

• @unreliable
            link
            23 months ago

The lucky mostly of people don’t. I personally have any issues.

• @png
              link
              13 months ago

True, everything else runs great