• ColeSloth
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

A person can be actively having a heart attack or bleeding out or on the verge of death. If they are still of sound mind (can answer a few simple questions) and they refuse medical help, it’s illegal to force them to get it. It’s not an employers duty, right, or ability to make an employee get medical attention if they choose to not have it.

• 【J】【u】【s】【t】【Z】@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      4 months ago

Did I misread? I thought she complained of symptoms that day and was told to close the pharmacy and get help. That’s what I’m talking about. Employers have an affirmative legal duty to provide a safe work environment and protect workers, even from themselves, including by firing the employee if necessary. Plenty of case law on the employer’s duty of care. If the employer called an ambulance and the employee refused care, that would relieve the employer form moral culpability.

Either way, in my country anyway, workers’ comp. is strict liability. The employee’s work was intended to and did directly benefit the employer and therefore the injurious work activity is within the scope of her employment, and therefore the employer is liable to provider whatever statutory medical coverage and death and survivors benefits that workers’ comp. must pay. Hopefully they aren’t utter shit.

• ColeSloth
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

Hard disagree with you. Her supervisor was not at the store and told her to shut down and go get checked out. Staying there was 100% her choice. Pharmacists also don’t have to eat so poorly on shift that it would cause their heart condition of having a 99% blockage. Heck, for most slimmer people it’s a genetic thing and not just dietary.