• @ColeSloth
    link
    English
    73 months ago

Did this factor out the steam deck Linux, though? It being included if going to falsely skew the numbers.

• @ColeSloth
        link
        English
        53 months ago

I have one. I love it. It’s 95% just a game system. No one buys one because they want to use a Linux os.

• @guacupado@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        3 months ago

Yeah but it’s disengenuous to make a handheld to laptops and desktops comparison. When people think linux and usershare, they’re worried about work stations.

God I’m hoping no one replies with “Well the Steam Deck could be plugged into a monitor!” Don’t be pedantic. You know what I mean.

• @A_Random_Idiot@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          3 months ago

Its still a full desktop computer, regardless of whether you can hold it in your hand or not.

and because your monitor comment reminded me, I dont remember where I saw it so I cant pull a link to it, but there was a guy who recently won a gamejam or some other similar programming competition, with a steamdeck plugged into a monitor.

I could understand, and even agree, with your position if it was some specialty single purpose hardware running a heavily stripped down and modified linux to make something like those chinese emulator handhelds… But its not, Its literally a full use OS on desktop hardware, the only difference is that it fits in your hand.

So like it or not, Thats a daily driver linux desktop, People use and interact with it daily, doing everything from web browsing to production work on it, So it definitely counts as a linux machine and should be reflected in the linux statistics.

Only one being pedantic is you, and about the shape of the computer of all things.

• @theshatterstone54@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      23 months ago

IIRC, it calculates it based on web usage and user agent, so it would count the Steam Decks used to browse the web (aka those used as desktops), but it shouldn’t count the others. So I’d say it’s quite accurate.