• jordanlund@lemmy.worldM
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

I mean, yeah, eventually, but he first took away their right to strike which is a pretty big deal. The only reason the sick days moved through at all was because of public pressure and shaming.

In the end, the sick days the workers got were pretty useless as well:

“four short-notice, paid sick days, with the ability to also convert up to three personal days to sick days”.

That doesn’t seem adequate given how physically intense rail work is.

• Tolookah
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Useless, but better than nothing at all.

Personally I think it should be paid like unemployment, so everyone gets it, or a mandated 1 day per year per employee, so small businesses can manage, but medium/large corps are unlimited sick days essentially. (With a Dr Note over a few days in a row, some larger number per month, etc, etc.). With some notes about how to count employees, to avoid math games.

• jordanlund@lemmy.worldM
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

Best deal I ever had was a place that offered three sick “periods” a year.

Well, what’s a period?

You get sick, you stay home, you come back when you’re better. Might be 1 day, 3 days, or 10 days, whatever you need to recover.

But don’t get sick, come back to work for a day, then go home again, because that’s TWO periods.

Go home, stay home, come back when you’re sure.

• Ensign_Crab@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

Sure is telling that the one link that Biden apologists have is from one of the unions that was happy with the deal the railroads were already offering before the strike was broken.