Don’t get me wrong I’m a big fan but it seems like the fediverse could theoretically exist with like 5 users whereas a commercial company needs users for revenue. It feels like we are using the masters tools to try to destroy the masters house

• @Rakn
    link
    English
    3911 months ago

It’s all about content and diversity. Without a huge number of users you won’t get all these niche communities that one loves Reddit for.

Where is the active plant doctor community? Where are the folks from different professions weighting in with their opinion?

The Fediverse could exist with 5 users. But it would be boring. It just now crossed a threshold where one could hope that if becomes something.

• oo1
      link
      fedilink
      211 months ago

people who like content sorted by “top” or “hot” or upvotes or boosts and so on also need a large diverse number of people viewing and clicking to create a meanigful / representative ranking of content.

• LoafyLemon
      link
      fedilink
      111 months ago

I agree, but only until a certain number.

Lemmy and kbin both have over 1 million users now, let’s assume half of them is bots, so we’re left with half a million people. I think even that number is high enough for us to generate interesting and diverse content. I mean, can you even imagine how large of a number half a million is? It takes 1 poster to jumpstart the magazine, 10 posters would already be more than adequate.