Not knowing US constitutional law, it seems to me the SCOTUS decision might mean that the Dems missed an opportunity when they had the house

That it’s a federal matter seems legally predictable/natural to me, and that it then falls to congress to enforce then also seems natural.

What am I missing on that?

Otherwise, what would the Dems have had to lose by passing an act when they had the house? The 14th was right there.

#uspol
@politics

• 👍Maximum Derek👍
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 个月前

Your argument is a false dichotomy. You need 40 votes to block and 61 votes to pass anything (that’s not a budget reconciliation or judicial confirmations) in the Senate. That’s a difference of 11 states worth of Senators. Its a fucking nightmare, but its also a big part of what slowed Trump’s agenda.

• Ensign_Crab@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 个月前

Your argument is a false dichotomy. You need 40 votes to block and 61 votes to pass anything (that’s not a budget reconciliation or judicial confirmations) in the Senate.

They need only 50 to change the rules of the Senate, with which they could do away with the filibuster forever. If they wanted to.

They do not want to.

• 👍Maximum Derek👍
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 个月前

Remember this from 2 posts up

Neither Manchin nor Sinema would have voted to abolish the filibuster

• Ensign_Crab@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          4 个月前

I sure do. Just enough Democrats considered the preservation of the Jim Crow Filibuster to be a greater priority than protecting Roe. Or democracy itself.

There are always just enough.