I’m not great with Docker or networking, so when I picked up an n100 mini pc for self hosting I installed Ubuntu and Tipi to get started.

I used Tipi to install Immich and forwarded my ports, then setup cloudflare tunneling to expose it to the internet. Currently I’m migrating from Google Photos.

But since I’m new to this I’m worried about exposing Immich to the internet without really knowing what I’m doing. Any suggestions on ways to monitor my setup to make sure nothing goes wrong or gets hacked? Ideally any application suggestions would come from the Tipi app store but I’m willing to learn if there’s no other option. Thanks!

• DontNoodles
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    3 months ago

I don’t have anything to offer but I have a question since I’m on a similar quest. I’m also a n00b when it comes to Docker even though I have best intentions to learn it eventually. In the coming days I want to set up a similar server for photos backup and I was hoping to go with Immich too.

I have heard that Immich occasionally provides updates that are breaking in nature. How does Tipi handle it in such circumstances?

• sacbuntchris@lemmy.world
      cake
      OP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      3 months ago

We’re in a similar spot! I had the same question and unfortunately I don’t know, I’ve only seen one update come through Immich since I’ve had it and it was non-breaking. Tipi just said “check the release notes before updating” – I clicked the “update” button in Tipi and Immich magically updated. My plan if there are more breaking updates is to check out the Tipi Discord and ask there.