• PotatoesFall
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

what charts are using primary energy? the only useful metric is energy we can actually use, and all statistics I know generally compare emissions per kWh of electricity, not primary energy.

We don’t take inti account the energy of the sun for calculating solar energy either.

• silence7@slrpnk.netOPM
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

The ones I’ve seen people using in online discourse are these which mislead the heck out of people trying to figure out how much work is needed for displacing fossil fuels.

• SolarMech@slrpnk.net
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

Oh wow, that is terrible and disapointing. Then again, when you think about it, it does mean the corrected graph gives us more hope.

• FaceDeer@fedia.io
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

If we did then solar energy would be the most ridiculously inefficient energy source on Earth. Only 0.000000045% of the Sun’s energy even hits Earth at all.

Though now that I think of it, uranium comes from supernovae and neutron star mergers. So nuclear power might be even less efficient.

• federalreverse-old@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

If you look around, there are tons of people who claim that all of the primary energy used today needs to be provided by renewables in the future (and that that’s impossible).