• smileyhead
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

I won’t consider using dozens of random debloating scripts made by reverse engineering Windows binary files a stable experience.

Also the second part is clearly frustration of running Windows-only software on Linux. Like, just look at installing Linux vs Windows experience. On Windows there is no live ISO, super outdated look, terrible user unfriendly partitioning section and after that they don’t even show you a nice welcoming overview of the system like Gnome or KDE now have.

• TCB13@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

I won’t consider using dozens of random debloating scripts made by reverse engineering Windows binary files a stable experience.

The thing is that this isn’t correct.

Windows’ bloat/spyware can be disabled via group policy and it works really well because it was designed to allow it. There are countess companies and government agencies that force Microsoft to have group policy settings to disable the “spyware” otherwise they couldn’t use it.

Microsoft provides very detailed documentation into the bloat that you can follow to disable what you don’t want. https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/privacy/manage-connections-from-windows-operating-system-components-to-microsoft-services. Those “dozens of random debloating scripts” are usually just following that guide, not much else.

I’m not saying Windows is good, I’m just saying it delivers and for the hassle that it takes to run Windows-only software (that most people require) under Linux, most people might be better off by spending a quarter of that time debloating Windows.