• Beko PharmOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

Heh, yeah I’m like that too: “oooh buttons” 🤓 It’s completely homebrew beside the X52 Pro. Some parts are salvaged form old electronics. What part interests you most? I wrote some details here before: https://SimPit.dev/version-2/

• fartsparkles@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Nuts! So is effectively a small, secondary monitor with a custom surround you’ve added buttons to?

Do the buttons connect to a keyboard controller or something different?

What software are you running on the monitor? Is it touch screen?

Do you have mappings for all the buttons or are some/many just for looks?

What’s the general layout of the buttons (i.e. what do you have mapped and where)? I think I counted 71 buttons/lights/switches!

Again, insanely cool setup. I’ve been making do with a large Stream Deck with a bunch of folders for everything and a plugin to update button states based on game state. It’s incredibly functional but nowhere remotely as immersive as yours.

• Beko PharmOP
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

Yes, the monitor is a separate entity but some of the buttons at the bottom are used to control it’s OSD menu. It’s not a touchscreen because it’s salvaged from a very old laptop (and I despise touchscreens :D). It’s software is a home brew React app basically as described for the old version here: https://simpit.dev/version-1/mfd-software/

I have a list for the buttons yes. All buttons are connected. I’m working on a write-up of the wiring. Some can not be read by ED due to button limits. I work around this by remapping them to keyboard presses (AntiMicroX). It’s really so much that I can hardly showcase all in one little video 🤓 Some are currently not even in use and are crammed below the contraption. There’s also a total of 17 status indicators which can display various states. That’s a NeoPixel so it can be extended if needed. It’s all driven and organized by an Arduino Mega. It’s daemon is a Rust program that also raises a virtual joystick with the system.

• BangersAndMash@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

Do Games like this have the ability to control the status indicators? It’s not a feature I’ve seen before but very cool if it can be done. I love this whole thing and will definitely be reading your write-up… Even though I don’t have a gaming rig, time to play any games or the money for any of it!

• Beko PharmOP
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            4 months ago

Some offer continuous ship telemetry, but that’s mostly games that are more simulation focused and thus more grounded in reality - think flight sim. A few notable exceptions exist, like Fly Dangerous, that serves everything on a silver platter.

ED is a mixed bag. Some information is available in the JSON files it dumps regularly, where they can be consumed by various 3rd party apps, or your own. I’ve a writeup and a demo video of this specific part in an early state at simpit.dev/version-1/plumbing/

ED is however not very detailed and only dumps information if a certain threshold is reached. We get for example no airspeed in the files but we get latitude and longitude on a planetary and with the radius of the planet (yes, a game made me do Maths!11eleven) we can calculate some missing data to feed e.g. a primary flight display (the one that is stuck in the video - it does operate on a planetary ;-))