I started working on Flyaway with the intention of becoming familiar with Wayland, its protocols and extensions, and the wlroots library. Instead, I ended up genuinely liking all three.

• 2xsaiko
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

What do you mean about app sleep? I’m doing these things you’re listing all the time and haven’t had any issues with it.

• Nyanix@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Interesting! I wonder if it’s a Wayland on KDE-specific thing. I’d read it as a security and efficiency feature of Wayland’s, where it suspends applications that are not in the viewport. An example case is that I’m playing FFXIV on virtual desktop 1. On virtual desktop 2, I have whatever thing I’m looking up or collecting in the browser. While I’m on virtual desktop 2, it suspends the game on desktop 1, which wouldn’t be a big issue in single player games as much, but in games that call to a server, like FFXIV or Overwatch, it disconnects you from the server.
      I was able to get around this by using Windowed Fullscreen and turning on Caffeine so that my computer wouldn’t sleep, but the turn screen off feature also changes the viewport, so I’ve had to disable that feature entirely.
      Then I work from home, my home computer is hooked up to the sound system, so I’ll play music through it, but then be on my work computer next to it. I’d like my computer to still black the screen and lock, but the moment it does either, viewport changes, music cuts off.
      If it’s viewed as a security feature, then the fix should not to have to be preventing your screen from going off or locking. I’d loooove the ability to set certain apps from suspending when not in the viewport. Bonus points if it’s one of the features added to gamemoderun

• 2xsaiko
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I’m using Plasma Wayland as well. Games do do that where they minimize on focus loss but I’m pretty sure they did that on X11 as well (especially since they mostly are using Xwayland) and I haven’t had any connection problems in multiplayer games when tabbed out. I’d have to see if your problem happens for me with virtual desktops, I rarely use them. And the music thing doesn’t happen at all, the screen locks and turns off and music/the youtube video/whatever keeps playing as normal.

What distro are you using? I’d chalk these problems up to a distro bug…

• Nyanix@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Huh, I didn’t realize others weren’t having these impacts, because Xorg doesn’t have these issues for me, it’s just as soon as I move over to Wayland. I’m on the infamous Manjaro, though I had the same issues on EndeavourOS