A flashy, jewelry-wearing Brooklyn pastor was convicted Monday in federal court of using a parishioner’s retirement savings and trying to extort a businessman while touting he had connections to the New York City mayor.

Lamor Whitehead, nicknamed the “Bling Bishop,” is a pastor at the Leaders of Tomorrow International Ministries. He was found guilty of five counts, including wire fraud, attempted extortion and making false statements to the FBI. The convictions are from three separate schemes.

Whitehead, known for his Louis Vuitton suits and extravagant jewelry, also made headlines in 2022 after he said he and his wife were robbed of $1 million worth of jewelry at their church.

• dependencyinjection
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

I understand the parishioners mentality…it’s human greed and we all contain that ability just most have actual morals and won’t act on it.

Here OP was talking about the grifter but called them the parishioners, that is all I am commenting on.

• MotoAsh@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Ah, so a misapplied word, I see. Yea, the parishoners are the ones paying with blind faith, not benefitting from rampant greed. Though at least understandable how someone mistakes a domain-specific word like ‘parishoner’ and assume it applies only to the people who run the domain (church staff).