• state_electrician
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

I haven’t heard great things about the story, quite the contrary. Combined with these two dumbos behind it I have no hopes for this to be good. I’ll still watch it, because it’s sci-fi, though.

• Cocodapuf@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

Well I read the book, and I want to say I loved it. But 90 percent of the book is buildup, focusing on the Chinese social revolution. It’s equal parts tragic, confusing and horrifying. I mean, it’s a human story, but it’s not scifi and it’s honestly hard to get through. But then the last two chapters have some fantastic scifi, some of the coolest ideas I’ve seen in fact!

But I’m not sure it’s worth it. I kind of want to recommend reading just the last three chapters or something.

In contrast, The Expanse is a fantastic book series (and tv show) and that’s a fantastic scifi story all the way through for like 6 books.

• CrayonRosary@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

I read all three of the main books by the author. There’s definitely some good stuff in there. Really thought provoking stuff. And a lot of crap. Crap physics, crap characters, crap writing style, and way too many plots.

Condensing it down to a TV series might be the best thing that can be done with it.

• state_electrician
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

Yeah, that’s what I heard and it sounds very plausible, so I don’t think I’ll pick up the books