The most famous forms of Holocaust denial and revisionism tend to focus on Jews, casting doubt, for example, on how many were exterminated in the camps. But denying the impact the Nazis had on the other groups they targeted, including queer and trans people, disabled people and Romani people, is still Holocaust denial. Maybe someone should tell J.K. Rowling.

• Landslide7648
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

Yeah it’s because the Alejandra person actually claimed those things.

As critical as I’m of JK Rowlings trans denial, this appears to be blown way out of proportion by people who want to pin another label on her that will make their fight more righteous.

This is nothing but culture war

• Sodis@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

Where?
      Some person: Nazis burned books on transgenders
      Rowling: That’s a lie. Alejandra: Here sources proving, that nazis did indeed burn books, including a German court ruling that explicitly stated, that nazis moved against transgenders too and the denial of that is Holocaust denial.
      Rowling: But they were not the first victims and they didn’t burn all books.

Like, her whole argument is completely off. She is the only one, that ever mentioned “all books” and “first victims”.

• Landslide7648
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

She isn’t the one that first spoke of “all”, she’s referring to this message.

Anyway, I don’t think this entire argument is done in good faith nor by Alejandra nor JK Rowling.

• Sodis@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

That’s a different thread though. Alejandra might not have been aware of it, like I was.

• Landslide7648
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            3 months ago

Good point. I didn’t realise that it was a different thread under the same post.

But regardless this doesn’t make Alejandra look like she’s acting in good faith. Her accusation of holocaust denial is a reaction to this post

I don’t read that as “JKR demands a source for persecution of transgender by the nazis” and more as a “JKR demands a source for her upholding gender ideology of the nazis”.

At the very least Alejandra could have asked for clarification before throwing “holocaust denier” in the ring.

But I also admit that I don’t actually follow this very closely, so it’s possible I’m wrong and JKR meant to state there was no persecution of transgender.

Again, a follow up question would have clarified that. But both sides, her, her supporters and the people who attack her are so deep down that cycle of outrage that they are not really interested in understanding where the other person is coming from. They just want to be right.

In my opinion it’s a pointless discussion.