The number of people who describe themselves as Republican has slightly declined since the last presidential election.

The polling firm Gallup, which tracks party affiliation monthly, says that those identifying as Republicans has shrunk by two percentage points since 2020. In February 2020, 30 percent of those Gallup polled said they were Republicans, while 29 percent considered themselves Democrats.

As of February 2024, when the latest data is available, 28 percent say they are Republicans, while 30 percent say they are Democrats, showing Republican’s base declining. Newsweek contacted the Republican National Committee (RNC) by email to comment on this story.

• Hazzia
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 months ago

I’m hoping that a significant portion of that 28% are just boomers who don’t keep up with current events and still think that Jan 6th was a fluke that nobody would have seen coming and that republicans are still the “party of fiscal responibility”.

By which I mean, I’d rather deal with people who have their heads in the sand than worry about almost 3/10 people actively rooting for dictatorship.

• jj4211@lemmy.world
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

I know someone who still calls themselves a Republican but hasn’t voted for a Republican in the general election in decades. They argue that they are still a Republican at heart, but all the republican candidates have been terrible.

They said they were going to vote for McCain, but when he picked palin, they couldn’t vote for that either.

This applies down ballot. They do vote in the GOP primaries, but their preferred candidates almost always lose.

• grue@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

I don’t disagree, but it’s cold comfort when the result is the same.

• DragonTypeWyvern@literature.cafe
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

Dear America: You are waking up to the fact, as Germany once did, to the awareness that 1/3 of your people would kill another 1/3 while the last 1/3 watches.-

Some dude on Twitter pretending to be Werner Herzog