Hi,

I’m in the weird spot again, where I want to update my Tumbleweed system and am lost in a dependency hell. It more or less occurs once in a while when updates drop and the prompt asks if I want to install stuff from vendor “obs://build.opensuse.org/home:wolfi323” replacing the obsolete stuff from the official openSUSE vendor.

As soon as I read wolfi323, I get fucking Vietnam flashbacks, because it means I will have to decide for ~100 services if I keep the current obsolote version or install the one from wolfi323. Either way, it’s gonna fuck up a myriad of dependencies.

All that hassle just to do the same shit all over again because at some point, the official opensuse repos catch up with newer versions.

I could probably wait for the official updates, but it’s uncertain, when they are going to drop and I’ll just pile up thousands of updates in the meantime.

How do the Tumbleweed Folks among us deal with this?

• @dino
    link
    English
    32 months ago

The suggestions made here are already spot on and I can just support the suggestion to use the least amount of extra repos as possible. Packman is the only one I’d consider, also check your repos regularly and see if you can make sense which is what, otherwise get rid of the ones where you have no clue why you had them in the first place (obviously check first which packages they install).

• @xtapaOP
      link
      English
      22 months ago

Yeah I’m really happy about some really good answers to my problem. This is my first non-experimental long used Linux system and when I started a year ago, I was experimenting with some stuff and added some repos that were recommended in some videos and blogs. And now I feel the pain of not keeping the count low :D Learning through pain is a real thing here.