• linuxPIPEpower
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

It’s written in a messy way but I actually read it the opposite way.

There is a non insignificant portion of the gun community who, when presented with the concept of “everybody should be taught gun safety, because it’s a right granted to us” relating specifically to liberals (go figure) happen to get really fucking antsy at the thought of people they don’t like owning guns.

I think what @KillingTimeItself@lemmy.dbzer0.com meant was that the 2A people don’t seem to be very interested in defending gun rights for people outside their circles. I don’t know if I’d use liberals as the example here. I think Black people would be far more salient.

Did the NRA Support a 1967 ‘Open Carry’ Ban in California? | Snopes.com

While 1967 was a long time ago, the “antsiness” has remained. How often do you hear of these people doing anything to defend the people who are the primary targets of anti gun laws? Which is, by a large margin, Black and other racialized people.

I heard an interview with some Public Defenders who had submitted an amicus brief in relation to a guns rights case on the basis that even though the actual case was stupid, changing the law would materially improve the lives of overincarcerted communities. I thought it was on 5-4 podcast in follow up to the first ep that covered the case in a less friendly way: New York State Rifle and Pistol Association v. Bruen. I don’t find the subsequent ep where they had the PDs on for an interview… maybe it was taken down.

• mojofrododojo@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

Reagan and the NRA were all about gun control when it was Black Panthers.

I just want sane controls preventing nutbags from acquiring arsenals. I’m not anti-gun, I’m a prior service gun loving person who’s watching the idiots ruin it for the rest of us.

• KillingTimeItself@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

i wish it was less about posturing, and more about the underlying fundamental reasons.

You’re a republican that owns a gun, that’s cool, i didn’t ask, lets go do something that we can enjoy together instead.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            3 months ago

that article is cool and all, but please try to explain to me how the intrinsic and very explicit link, between republican politics, and 2A, isn’t political posturing in some manner.

You may not be. But there is a very clear tie between the conservative rhetoric, and 2A. If it weren’t political posturing the issues that i was talking about, which do exist (go have a look at some of the comments on this video), would not be happening. As it wouldn’t fucking matter.

• mojofrododojo@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              3 months ago

none of this - gun safety, sane gun policy - is a political issue. Mr 9mm doesn’t stop to ask your political affiliation before it blows through your cranium.

Do you think 5.56 or .223 give a flying fuck if the rifle shooting them was wielded for political gain?

“ooh boo hoo I think you’re making it political” yeah well get fucked, no matter your affiliation, if you think more dead kids is a political issue. sick.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            3 months ago

to be clear, i wasn’t referring to you specifically in that statement. It was a generic expression intended to make my point more obvious.

Also what issue? Gun violence? Yeah that’s an issue. I’m not hear to talk about that though.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

this pretty much. I used liberals specifically because that was an actual example of where i had seen it crop up. It applies broadly to “people they don’t like” however.

My main complaint here was that people who supposedly defend the rights that everybody have, get hypocritical about it, when presented with something that counters their personal beliefs. Directly contradicting their whole argument related to 2A.