It comes up almost every year now. Personally… This feels so easy to fix. Just send someone out in front of Brundle to gauge everyone’s interest, or just tell him to back off a bit when he meets legitimate resistance. Why manufacturer drama like this? The sport just doesn’t need it in my opinion. He had two opportunities to not do what he did this weekend, but he pressed on.

Sure, it’s historical and all. But it just feels a little greasy to essentially force an interview on someone. Who is to say that Brundle can demand someone interview with him? Why are we owed that? I like Brundle and his way of interviewing, but I feel like he needs to be more respectful of those that aren’t there to be interviewed. We don’t own celebrities and no one is owed an interview simply because a celebrity decided to attend a race.

Thoughts?

• lotanis
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

This the Cara Delevigne thing on the Silverstone grid walk?

These people are not just “attending a race”. They are on the grid minutes before a race, a grid that is heavily covered with cameras. As Martin says (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ3lKU8JpMo), it’s an explicit part of the deal now (after Miami) that if you want to be on the grid that you have to be willing to be interviewed. That seems a reasonable exchange for an amazing privilege. And if you’ve made that deal, you should hold up your end of the bargain.

The above argument didn’t apply in Miami because the rule wasn’t there. It was a more understandable incident. That said Miami still annoyed me. If you’re going to attend an F1 race and be granted these privileges, surely you should have a little respect for the sport, the people that are involved and the TV coverage? Most of us would jump at the chance to be on the grid, that opportunity felt wasted on someone if they’re only there to look cool and don’t care about where it is they’re doing that.

• PriorProject@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

… it’s an explicit part of the deal now (after Miami) that if you want to be on the grid that you have to be willing to be interviewed…

Though I agree with your broader point that the grid is a restricted area that is hosting a media event and it’s a bit ridiculous to get surprised-pikachu about media interacting with you there… Martin was likely stretching a bit when he said there are now rules indicating that everyone has to be available to interview. In 2021, bodyguards were forbidden from the grid after the incident with Megan Thee Stallion. This makes it easier for media to approach celebrities, but doesn’t obligate them to participate. I linked to reporting on this in my top-level comment.

That said, I’d have no objection to a rule that DOES require participation. They’re on the grid in a promotional capacity. Expecting participation in a 30s interview is not bizarre.

• SyJ@lemmy.mlM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Agreed. Too many celebs who know nothing about the sport and don’t care about it showing up for a fun party or to promote themselves, and then getting annoyed when they’re asked which driver they support or if they’re looking forward to the race.

• Radioaktvt@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

You know and I think that’s okay. To a certain extent almost all professional sports will have celebs show up who have no interest in the sport. I agree with you that too many look disinterested or get annoyed when they’re approached by media for an interview. They’re obviously not the main attraction, and it wouldn’t kill them to feign interest, just say it’s cool, be honest and say they don’t know anything about the sport but are excited to experience the event and learn more about it. Even if it’s all a lie it goes a long way in improving their image, promoting this wonderful sport, and maybe even draw in some of that celebrities fans to actually check out f1. I mean that is the whole reason these celebrities are invited to the paddock and are shown in the team garage during races isn’t it?

• hypnotoad@lemmy.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

Most but not all. I suppose if they’ve explicitly agreed to be interviewed, it’s lame to back out. But why does not interviewing with Brundle equate to not caring? What if they simply don’t want to engage in an interview? Impossible to be on the grid then? I feel like we don’t need to force that. But that’s just my opinion.