It is expected to be 2-3 months before Threads is ready to federate (see link). There will, inevitably, be five different reactions from instances:

1. Federate regardless (mostly the toxic instances everyone else blocks)

2. Federate with extreme caution and good preparation (some instances with the resources and remit from their users)

3. Defederate (wait and see)

4. Defederate with the intention of staying defederated

5. Defederate with all Threads-federated instances too

It’s all good. Instances should do what works best for them and people should make their home with the instances that have the moderation policies they want.

In the interests of instances which choose options 2 or 3, perhaps we could start to build a pre-emptive block list for known bad actors on Threads?

I’m not on it but I think a fair few people are? And there are various commentaries which name some of the obvious offenders.

• RxBrad@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

But have you actually tried it? Here’s a sample. Go take a look. (EDIT: My link is worthless unless you are logged in to mas.to. Go look up username fediverse@lemmy.world in your Mastodon client of choice)

It’s a completely unmanageable firehose of comments, spewed only in chronological order.

Honestly, the link between incompatible types of social media like Lemmy and Mastodon could be severed in my opinion, because it’s mostly just novel with little benefit.