• @HopFlop
    link
    English
    -112 months ago

If the post said “a Black trans women interrupted me”, would that be also fine, in your eyes?

• @CileTheSane@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      162 months ago

Are Black trans women known for this kind of behaviour? Are there apologists for Black trans women who make every effort to miss the fucking point that there are people who think this isn’t a thing that happens?

• Melllvar
        link
        fedilink
        English
        -12 months ago

Are Black trans women known for this kind of behaviour?

The question suggests that Black trans women are all alike. It’s exactly that kind of generalization that’s being criticized.

• @CileTheSane@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          12 months ago

Nobody is saying all white men are like this, what they are saying that it is only white men who do this.

Being a white man who is aware of the stereotype, I in no way feel attacked by it. I do feel aware that I need to be careful not to interrupt my colleagues or to mansplain things that I may be less knowledgeable about. This response from me is beneficial to both myself and the people I interact with.

• Melllvar
            link
            fedilink
            English
            edit-2
            2 months ago

“Only white men do X” is absolutely racist and sexist. “Mansplain” is derogatory.

• @CileTheSane@lemmy.ca
              link
              fedilink
              English
              02 months ago

“Mansplain” is derogatory.

I agree that it is derogatory to mansplain to someone, like to tell an expert in a subject that they don’t know what they’re talking about and thinking that’s okay because they are a woman.

• @HopFlop
        link
        English
        -62 months ago

Nonody is “known” for that behaviour. You really just seem to ascribe personality traits to people based on their skin color. I thought we were long past that.

• Stoneykins [any]
          link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          2 months ago

It is intentionally, intellectually dishonest and obtuse to pretend that condemnation of systemic problems resulting from unfair biases for/from certain demographics is as bad as the systemic problems in question.

• @summerof69@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        -102 months ago

Are there apologists for Black trans women who make every effort to miss the fucking point

Oh, don’t blame people. Don’t bring irrelevant details if you don’t want to distract them from the fucking point.

• southsamurai
      link
      fedilink
      English
      22 months ago

It would surprise me, but it would still be fine.

How many black trans women are in positions of authority? To not remark on that would be unusual. Mind you, the chances of a black trans woman making it to that kind of position and holding on to the kind of stupidity in the original post is pretty damn slim, hence the surprise.