I am woking on making solar panel mounts for the roof rack of my nissan xterra from TPU, since it can take a beating. Does any one have any experience with 3d-printed TPU threads? And how much stress before it can take before a bolt rips out? Also should i use teflon thread seal so the a bolt won’t come loose?

• MachineFab812
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 months ago

Teflon seals threads vs water or air, and works more like anti-sieze than a thread-locker. Coincidentally, Thread-locker can also keep water out, but I have no idea if there’s any point in trying to use it with TPU.

• dmtalon@infosec.pub
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      3 months ago

I made flat head bolts out of pteg for solar panel mounted to my sailboat and while towing it to the lake they ripped out :( (and I lost the panel)

I made the bolt head like a flat washer so I could glue it to the boat then set the panel on it and secured it with a pteg nut.

• IMALlama@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

What was the failure mode? Did the glue holding them down fail, did the nut rip off the stud, leaving a stud glued to the boat, something else?

Failures are never fun, but they can still be a great learning opportunity.

• dmtalon@infosec.pub
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          3 months ago

The pteg failed (sheered off near the “head” of the bolt/stud. The flat washer like heads were all still attached.

I had to replace the panel, and just went with SS screws right into the fiberglass. I also tape the leading edge during transport.

I’m guessing air got up under the front lip and just poof off it came. In my case these were fairly small which I’m sure didn’t help my case.