Finally deleted my LinkedIn account!

After putting my account into “hibernation” for the past few weeks, I finally closed it. But I’m still looking for work. Thankfully I can still find positions (SRE and software dev) by just going directly to the company’s site and finding a Jobs page.

Good luck to everyone else out there looking for work!

#privacy @privacy

• Mohammad K.
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 months ago

IMO LinkedIn is a garbage for mental health, too. Where everyone wants to show off their achievements to others.

• Oliver Lowe@apubtest2.srcbeat.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

Sadly that’s true for all social media.

Some are worse than others. Every now and then I log on to Instagram because I can sometimes see fun dirtbike clips. I can comment on YouTube videos of conference talks.

I know people go to supposedly “adventurous” places on motorbikes just for clout, and I know that people at conferences often do talks that could just as easily be recorded themselves at home or even just as a text article. But at least I know, deep down, they want to share stuff with people who have a shared passion.

The stuff that gets shared around via LinkedIn feels so, so hollow in comparison. Not a lot, if anything, beneath the surface.

• Evotech@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      3 months ago

LinkedIn is probably the social media platform where I get a migraine going the quickest. I only quickly glance over everything over every month or so

I still keep an account there though. It’s pretty much required in the tech industry

• neutron@thelemmy.club
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 months ago

Worst of both worlds, the one-upping bootlicking culture, the fear of missing out on job prospects fueled by economic anxiety, with corporate enshittification liberally sprinkled in, all combined into one giant pile of turd.

And I say this as I’m also guilty of having an account on it. I also want to get rid of it, but can’t afford to risk my chances while looking for better jobs. Fuck all this.