link
    1022 months ago

gestures at butterfly this code

Is this self-documenting code?

• @skulblaka@startrek.website
      link
      fedilink
      392 months ago

I genuinely believe something like this is what some of my professors wanted me to submit back in school. I once got a couple points off a project for not having a clarifying comment on every single line of code. I got points off once for not comment-clarifying a fucking iterator variable. I wish I could see what they would have said if I turned in something like this. I have a weird feeling that this file would have received full marks.

• @maniclucky@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        122 months ago

Did you have my professor for intro to C? This guy was well known for failing people for plagiarism on projects where the task was basically “hello world”. And he disallowed using if/else for the first month of class.

• @OneCardboardBox@lemmy.sdf.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          62 months ago

Reminds me of an early Uni project where we had to operate on data in an array of 5 elements, but because “I didn’t teach it to everyone yet” we couldn’t use loops. It was going to be a tedious amount of copy-paste.

I think I got around it by making a function called “not_loop” that applied a functor argument to each element of the array in serial. Professor forgot to ban that.

• @CileTheSane@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            52 months ago

but because “I didn’t teach it to everyone yet” we couldn’t use loops.

That is aggravating. “I didn’t teach the class the proper way to do this task, so you have to use the tedious way.” What is the logic behind that other than wasting everyone’s time?

• @skulblaka@startrek.website
              link
              fedilink
              12 months ago

Teaching someone the wrong way to do something frequently makes the right way make way more sense. Someone who just copy/pasted 99 near identical if statements understands on a fundamental level when, why, and where you use a for loop much more than someone who just read in the textbook “a for loop is used to iterate elements in a collection”.

• I Cast Fist
                link
                fedilink
                22 months ago

Reminds me of a dude that wrote the equivalent of this in Visualg (a brazilian pseudocode language and program, meant solely for teaching programming)

if
                  if
                    if
                      if
                        if (x < 10) then
                          print(x)
                        else
                      else
                    else
                  else
                else

That the thing ran and didn’t complain about the amount of loose/needless if’s checking fuck all baffles my mind to this day.

• @CileTheSane@lemmy.ca
                link
                fedilink
                12 months ago

And if I know the right way of doing it I already understand why it’s better because I want to use it in this situation. Making the students who already understand the lesson do it the wrong way is just a waste of their time.