• @fine_sandy_bottom
    link
    92 months ago

I’m having a bad day.

Can someone reassure me that idiots using copilot aren’t suddenly going to become more effective and productive than me?

• @Blackmist@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      72 months ago

Maybe, but you’ll get the last laugh when they rely on it for everything and it is eventually whisked away behind an enormous monthly fee.

• @victron@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        English
        12 months ago

That’s based on OP’s assumption that everyone who uses copilot is an “idiot”. There are people out there actually using such tools in meaningful ways instead of whining because “ai bad”. That people will have the last laugh.

• @S13Ni@lemmy.studio
      link
      fedilink
      62 months ago

They won’t. Maybe they get rudimentary tasks done faster but their lack of understanding of what they are doing is gonna cause problems in anything else.

• @Synnr@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        2 months ago

So programming is gonna go from a “search, understand basics, copy/paste, make changes” industry to a “I breathe compiler optimization, pay me money” industry?

Can’t say I’m that upset, it had to happen eventually. But this will only kick the brainpower down the road for the copy/pasters because they’ll have a lot more time to dig in and specialize.