• fine_sandy_bottom
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

I don’t have the direct experience you do, but when you say “training and support” I would venture that includes “the vibe” of the thing.

People who have used Windows & Office forever will find using a new platform irritating just because everything is just a little different.

Couple that with the fact that non-tech people often perceive opensource as the free+shitty version, and it’s surely a recipe for an “ideology” whereby employees feel that they’re being abused - forced to use a shitty platform so the city can save a few dollars.

There’s also a halo effect, whereby any issue gets blamed on free+shitty platform instead of simply tech being tech.

I just don’t think that training and support can really solve that. You really need employees to believe in the benefits if opensource and I’m not sure that’s achievable.

• NuXCOM_90Percent@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

The “vibe” doesn’t really matter. You are getting paid to do a job, you are gonna do it. You can’t refuse to write documents because you have to use Word instead of Google Docs or whatever.

No, it really is the training. Because the most obnoxious thing in the work force is an old white guy. They can’t outright say “no”. But they will do everything in their power to talk about how EVERYTHING is a blocker and they can’t get any work done because nobody wanted to teach them something. Or nobody was able to answer the questions that they refuse to ask. And so forth.

Having a database of training videos or even an outsourced consultant goes a long way toward “Hey Jon? Nobody gives a shit. Do your job”. Whereas having to link to just a document or explain something yourself is how they will actively refuse to ever retain any information.