I really miss old roleplaying forums where instead of being more “gamelike” you would more write a story together and the rules were more of a self governing expectation that people wouldn’t try to take over a story for themselves (which didn’t always work as intended). I remember being on one’s for everything from warriors to neopets. They were kind of like writing a collaborative fanfiction.

I feel like it could be kinda cool to encourage people to create a story together like this in an online written format again. This game system has:

• light enough and more story based rules that could probably be adapted to a forum format

• the setting/type of story is HIGHLY flexible, so each subforum or thread could be wildly different types of stories

Downsides:

• the book costs money but also this is a small independent game maker and I’m not sure what the best way to encourage people to pay them would be in this context.

• I don’t know how to write bots but you’d probably want there to be some public/impartial dice roller (or in this specific case, a card-puller).

Any other thoughts or other systems that could work well for this or that could provide some guidance for a completely new model?

• copacetic
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

If you want a really simple ruleset, try matrix games. It is only 70 words.

Doesn’t come with a setting though.