• PotatoesFall
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 months ago

That’s still a monopoly. The article says it too, if you don’t put your game on steam, your sales suffer. It’s similar to how spotify has a monopoly on the music streaming market.

• ShepherdPie@midwest.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 months ago

How are either of those a monopoly? A monopoly generally means you only have one option and that option is taking advantage of their outrageous market share by jacking up prices.

Where I live the only broadband internet is Comcast which is why I pay 2-3x more for my service than comparable services in areas where they don’t have a monopoly (or areas with sane regulations).

Saying that you’ll not earn as much money if you don’t put your game on steam doesn’t mean steam has a monopoly, it just means you’re not getting as much reach as you could. Being popular doesn’t equate to being a monopoly.

• stardust@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

Citing this article that is upset about lack of Apple support but is silent on lack of Linux support from other launchers while probably using an iPhone that locks out everything compared to Android is funny.

• Appoxo@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

If you market your game better it can “survive” outside of steam as well. I didn’t hear about Ready or Not having funding issues. They didn’t even announce a Steam release when they started their funding campaign.
      It may result in less sales because users have to download and update the game manually. Can’t deny that assumption but it’s not a mandatory thing to publish on steam…