I use Debian flavors for my daily drivers. I have no complaints, no real desire to switch it up on that front.

However, I am starting to get into self-hosting and homelab projects. I’d like to start test driving some light-weight distros of a different flavor.

I’d prefer a GUI be available, but the environment and WM is pretty inconsequential-- except it shouldn’t be bloated. I’ll install any additional apps I want, I don’t need a curated mid-to-heavy-weight distro.

The plan is to make heavy use of Docker images, to try to maintain a clean and modular setup of services. If that makes any difference.

Suggestions? Any slim distros you’re just gaga for?

• @cmnybo
    link
    English
    112 months ago

Apart from both being lightweight, they are more like opposites.

• @Kualk@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      2 months ago

Arch is good for home server, because you will not have to do major update ever again and because at home one usually doesn’t mind restarting after updating.

Debian is a good option for private virtual server on the cloud. Because Debian is frequently an option there, while Arch is not an option due to its rolling nature. Debian supposedly can update without restart, but I never trusted that.