If the owner of the standard notes will now be a proton, doesn’t that contradict this principle? I have a proton email account but I don’t want it linked to my standard notes account. I don’t strongly trust companies that offer packaged services like google or Microsoft. I prefer to have one service from one company. I am afraid that now I will have to change where I save my notes. What do you guys think about this?

• gamedeviancyOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

Idk, maybe I’m wrong. Notesnook is recommended by privacyguides at all. All my mistrust comes from the fact that such countries are not famous for respecting human rights. What if the government forces the owners to give up the keys? Maybe it’s an unrealistic scenario cause data is encrypted.

• LWD@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

You’re asking the right questions.

Regarding keys: they never store those. If they did, that would be a problem from the beginning. The whole point of E2EE encryption is that the servers and server owners should never be able to access your data even if you wanted them to.

• gamedeviancyOP
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        3 months ago

Yes, you had me cause I write only about keys, but I thought also about backdoors on gov demand.

• LWD@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 months ago

If you’re worried about backdoors, you can build every client from source and verify the code. IIRC they haven’t paid for an audit, but if they failed to protect your passwords/keys that’d be really bad for their reputation. And considering their target demographic, it’s pretty important to keep that part of the reputation alive.

• calm.like.a.bomb@lemmy.dbzer0.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 months ago

Notesnook is open source and you can check (if you have the knowledge) if there are any issues. They’re working on making the server self-hostable (also fully open source) so there’s that.