• ColeSloth
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 months ago

GDI engines that need to run the fuel to the injectors at over 2,000 psi is just stupid. Using that much pressure for such a marginal gain in efficiency from other engines that only need like 50 psi.

2,000 psi is like a guarantee that at some point in that vehicles life there’s going to be fuel leaks and problems. Ever see a firetruck shooting that giant stream of water from the end of its ladder? That’s only 80 psi.

• riodoro1@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

Direct injected cars are nothing new. Diesels run their injectors much higher than 2000psi for hundreds of thousands kilometers. Ford is just shit at engineering.

• ColeSloth
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

Don’t try and bring diesel into this. They’re pretty different. It also doesn’t cause nearly the fire risk when they leak some fuel.

Also, they absolutely leak fuel. I’ve seen loads of diesels with fuel leaks (I drive a lot of diesels for work). But like I said, them leaking a bit isn’t really a cause to sound the alarm bells for a fire, cause diesel fuel isn’t a risk like that.

• Gingernate@programming.dev
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

High pressure side leaks? If a common rail diesel has a high pressure leak the engine will most likely shut down due to pressure loss.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              2 months ago

Right, and on newer emissions systems the engines use the high pressure to help with more complete combustion allowing for lower soot, meaning less DPF issues. While this does cause higher NOx , we are able to clean it up with SCR and flowing more DEF. Ford is being lazy on this, but the issue is not high pressure. I also understand the differences between gasoline and diesel, and again, Ford could develope a system that does not fail, and then dumps gasoline on the ground hahaha. I’m saying this as a master diesel engine tech with 12 years of experience. I’m not rooting my own horn, but just letting people know I do have industry experience.

• TheRealKuni@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 months ago

Gas is a type of fuel…

And squares are a type of rectangle, but rectangles aren’t all squares.

Diesel fuel isn’t gasoline. They have different properties and Diesel isn’t nearly as flammable.

• this_1_is_mine@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              2 months ago

Just because it’s not nearly as flammable doesn’t mean that it doesn’t have the exam inherent risks especially when you end up having it come out under high pressure it’s going to try an atomize into a fine spray it most certainly can be a fire risk.

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                2 months ago

Yes. There are huge risks. I have seen several diesel powered class 8 trucks burn and catch fire due to fuel leaks. It’s not very common at all, but it does happen. Ford is not fixing the issue when they could. The fuel system probably needs to be re engineered, but high pressure is not the issue

• ColeSloth
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 months ago

But diesel isn’t a type of gas, so you can be a bit ambiguous calling gas “fuel”, you can’t call diesel “gas”.