• ColeSloth
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 months ago

There’s a lot less EV’s.

Most car fires I’ve put out are due to electrical shorts. Not a fuel leak. The last fuel caused one I put out (and I haven’t extinguished many over the years. Maybe 5 fuel related ones in the past 15 years) was a classic muscle car that the owner had just recently put a new engine into. He didn’t tighten the fuel line down enough and it popped off.

• Noxy@yiffit.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 months ago

They’re a lot less frequent proportionately. Not just by absolute numbers.

Also leaking fuel ignition is not the only way ICE vehicles can catch fire.

• ColeSloth
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

Proportionally because all the evs are essentially less than 10 years old, while even just the average ice vehicle is well over that?

You’re right about one thing. There are other ways ice vehicles catch fire besides leaky fuel systems. Like the electrical system that short out. Hmmm…I wonder if EV’s have much of an electrical system?

Seriously, though. That’s pretty much all vehicle caused fires. Electrical short or fuel leak in the engine compartment. You can get brake systems that cause it on trailers and commercial vehicles, but that doesn’t really happen on passenger vehicles very often at all, and could happen on an ev just the same anyhow.