Hello people I recently acquired an old(er) laptop through my workplace. I was initially planning on running a Pi-hole on it but after installing it I noticed that my router is causing issues with the Pi-hole so I gave up on that idea.

Now if I were to decide on dedicating it for piracy, would I be able to do anything that isn’t viable on a general use PC that would make it less likely for these piracy activities to have legal and/or financial ramifications on me? Or would it be no different than using the PC I use for my everyday stuff?

• Mark
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

My suggestion would be to install Ubuntu server (or another distro) and use it for sonarr, radarr and other *arr apps. I do the same with a old laptop connected to a nas for storage

Edit: look for the trash guides for more information and help setting it all up

• ninakuup21@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Hey, thanks for the answer! Could you explain briefly what sonarr or radarr does? Also if you don’t mind it, could you tell me which programs/practices I should be following if I were to go through with this plan no matter how obvious it is. I am no stranger to this stuff but I can’t really say I have a broad understanding of it.

• Nouveau_Burnswick@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Sonarr will monitor a tv show for you, then automatically download it (through linked torrent or Usenet) once available.

Radarr is the same for movie, Lidarr for music, and other arr for other media.

Basically it removes the need for the user to watch for when downloads are ready and click them.

As mentioned, you need to pair your Arrs with a downloader, then optionally with a media server, like Plex, jellyfin, or Emby. The servers function like any streaming services front-end for your client. These media servers can also be paired with overseerr/jellyseerr to help you find new shows/movies to watch based or your history.

• Nouveau_Burnswick@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Compared to what options options?

PC desktop? Usually about 25% less power.

Commercial equipment? Home users are normally using older equipment that sucks a lot of power.

NUC? Laptop is probably more power.

Generally speaking the “newness” of any given hardware is the key factor in power to performance ratios (such to say a newer chip will generally be more energy efficient than and older one, per calculation performed)