• @imnapr
    link
    English
    731 month ago

We need to go back to pre-discord and bring back forums man. Don’t get me wrong, discord has its uses, all my friends use it, but discord killing forums and websites was really bad for the internet as a whole. Like look at dolphin, made before discord, it has its own website, its own forums. Hopefully if Nintendo does ever come after dolphin they’ll at least be able to keep the website and forums up.

• @ben_dover@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      181 month ago

or, you know, lemmy? it’s not that much different from forum software, is browsable and federated

• @huginn@feddit.it
      link
      fedilink
      171 month ago

I mean Nintendo would nuke the forums too.

Their lawyers don’t fuck around. They’re as bad as Disney.

Unless you’re a forum hosted in someplace like the Netherlands or Russia you’re in range for Nintendo’s nukes.

• 4dpuzzle
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        1 month ago

You’d at least get a chance to migrate if you do daily backups. Not so with Discord.

• @huginn@feddit.it
          link
          fedilink
          71 month ago

Thats not what happens with a nuke - they threaten the owner and take everything: backups included.

• 4dpuzzle
            link
            fedilink
            English
            91 month ago

That’s why you don’t backup on the same provider. You can always backup to the local system with encryption. And they can’t attack the owner in every jurisdiction.

• @Kedly@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          11 month ago

I mean, Suyu already seems to be jumping to a different medium, so it sounds like this situation wouldnt have gone any differently had Suyu had their main support hosted anywhere else. Nintendo would have nuked any of the support locations, and Suyu would then have to jump to a new safe haven

• @Kichae@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      51 month ago

Discord has no uses that isn’t already covered by other options, though. Their biggest feature is publicity.

• セリャスト
      link
      fedilink
      31 month ago

You ppl dont remner how utterly tedious forums were. We hake karma-based systems nowadays, we cam move on

• @Kichae@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        141 month ago

Karma is a net negative for actual community creation and meaningful discussion.

• セリャスト
          link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          1 month ago

Karma+threaded is better than chronologic imo, why do you think it’s bad?

• @DdCno1@beehaw.org
            link
            fedilink
            21 month ago

I should add that it wasn’t the norm back then either.

What’s kind of funny is that all of the debates around these systems are exactly the same today as back then, like for example that you should use the voting system to reward quality comments, not use it as an agree/disagree button.