• @jol
    link
    771 month ago

Offices have way more power to convert the world to Linux than even gaming does.

And ofc, Microsoft is well aware and is not interested in letting that happen.

• @TwoCubed@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      331 month ago

Correct. Bavaria once tried the same thing, but then MS went to the local politicians, sucked their dicks a bit and boom, back to MS products it is! Hopefully the north doesn’t fall for that kind of shit, and they likely won’t because Bavaria is a backwards piece of shit of a Bundesland while Schleswig Holstein is kinda cool.

• @jkrtn@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      281 month ago

Hopefully this at least forces Microsoft to rethink riddling their bullshit with ads. I feel sorry for people who are still stuck with that trash for whatever reason.

• @saigot@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        81 month ago

I’m pretty sure the enterprise version of Windows does not and will never have ads. So not super relavent when talking about a transition to Linux in an office setting.

• @Zorsith@lemmy.blahaj.zone
          link
          fedilink
          English
          181 month ago

Edge “new tab” default is hellishly full of ads and “news”, the Taskbar has stock price information alongside weather and sports, and search in the start menu still shows internet searches. Even on enterprise.

• @saigot@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            -11 month ago

You can remove the stock ticker even on home edition, on enterprise you can make it go away by default for new installs as well. And with enterprise, you can disable edge entirely and unlike home edition it won’t re-enable on upgrade.

• @Zorsith@lemmy.blahaj.zone
              link
              fedilink
              English
              61 month ago

None of these things should exist in the first place. Edge will stay disabled until Microsoft feels its been long enough since the last time they got slapped for it, then they’ll push it again.

• And ofc, Microsoft is well aware and is not interested in letting that happen.

This is true, but there are only so many times that they can pull off what they did in Munich. If enough cities keep trying at this, there’s no way they’re going to be able to hold the floodgates back forever.

I’m usually a pessimist, but stories like this actually do get my hopes up

• @jol
        link
        31 month ago

I mean… They are not short on cash either.

• @jol
        link
        81 month ago

Because they can. It costs a huge amount of money to move away from MS. And MS can just bribe politicians to make it even harder.