I’ve been using Chromecasts and it’s gotten so slow and buggy. I was trying to cast from VLC on my phone to it and I had a ton of trouble getting it to show up and connect and after I finished streaming from my phone I tried to switch to the YouTube app and it just kept on crashing.

It’s 2024, I’m tired of dealing with shitty tv streaming experiences. I want something completely uncompromising. I want a silky smooth experience and I don’t want it to randomly break on my.

I’m thinking about shelling out for a shield TV, but I’d rather have control over my device since I don’t want to deal with the manufacturers fucking around with my device after the fact.

I’d love to be able to set up a raspberry pi for this, but would I be able to get a seamless experience? I don’t mind doing extra up front work to get it set up, but I don’t want it to be an ongoing maintenance thing, and I’d like it to work with Chromecast so it’s easy to stream to from a variety of devices.

Can I actually pull that off with a raspberry pi or should I go with the shield TV?

• @Fisch
    link
    edit-2
    1 month ago

And the N100 even has AV1 decoding, which is why I’ll be using the mini PC, I bought as a server (which has an N100), for Kodi as well, since I try to get most stuff in AV1 and the Pi was my only device that was too slow to play it