• @schnurrito
    link
    241 month ago

It is supposed to believe that climate change is a … scam?!

You can believe that climate change is not real, but a “scam”, how does that even work?

• mozzOP
      link
      fedilink
      161 month ago

There’s a myth that climate scientists made the whole thing up to be able to publish papers and make their careers without producing anything of value. Because, you know, climate science is a glamorous and lucrative career where no one will ever examine your work closely or check it independently.

There are think tanks that specifically come up with these myths to be vaguely plausible and then the good ones get distributed deliberately because people are making billions of dollars every year that action gets delayed. There’s a bunch of them. On the target audience they work quite well. I actually had someone whose family member died of Covid tell me that his brother-in-law didn’t really die of Covid, he died of something else, because it’s all overblown and the hospitals are doing a similar scam to this myth (i.e. making it out as a bigger deal than it needs to be.)

• Schadrach
        link
        fedilink
        21 month ago

I actually had someone whose family member died of Covid tell me that his brother-in-law didn’t really die of Covid, he died of something else, because it’s all overblown and the hospitals are doing a similar scam to this myth (i.e. making it out as a bigger deal than it needs to be.)

That sort of thing goes around here a lot too, usually framed in terms of “He didn’t die of COVID, but if you die from any cause whatsoever while you also have COVID they’ll count it as dying of COVID to make the COVID numbers bigger.” It usually falls apart when you ask why they want the COVID numbers to be bigger than they really are.

• @Stormyfemme@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      51 month ago

I’ve def seen conservative talking points about climate change being a myth sold by china to make american manufacturing and such noncompetitive.

• ivy
      link
      fedilink
      41 month ago

They’re trying to use the climate to get the dang change from our pockets!!!

• @jarfil@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      21 month ago

You can believe anything, just accept it’s true and build a set of explanations around it.

One interesting ability of an animal brain, is to believe contradictory things by compartmentalizing away different beliefs into separate contexts. Cats for example can believe that “human legs on a checkered floor = danger” while “human legs on wooden floor = friendly food source”, and act accordingly.

Humans, like to believe their own mental processes are perfectly integrated and coherent… but they’re not; they’re more abstract, but equally context related. It takes a conscious effort to break those contextual barriers and come up with generalized “moral rules”, which most people simply don’t do.