• ColeSloth
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

They’re contributing more, but less of their percentage. Like 20% of $40,000 is less than 10% of $700,000,000.

It’s bullshit. Percentage needs to increase with what you make. It will curb inflation and stop the ridiculous wealth disparity from increasing at an ever expanding rate. All the boomers were doing so great in the 1950’s because the wealthy had the shit taxed out of them.

• AwkwardLookMonkeyPuppet@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

What’s fucked is that when you have more, you can afford to lose a higher percentage of it. Like Chris Rock said, “if you’re worth $30 million and you lose half, you’re probably going to be alright. When you’re worth $30 thousand and you lose half, somebody’s gonna have to die!”.

• The Menemen!@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

I am in a high income tax group here in Germany. I am happy to pay almost half of my income in taxes and social security/health insurance, if I see that it gets well invested. We are a society and the stronger should always carry the weaker (both financially and also in other aspects).

BUT: I am really pissed that I have to pay such a high percentage of what I have to work hard for, while those who did nothing but being born into a rich family pay hardly anyything at all. High income taxes should only be a thing when wealth taxes are also high, otherwise it only kills the will to work hard.

• afraid_of_zombies@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

I definitely lean more towards a capital gains tax over an income tax. People should be rewarded for what they did this week rather than what their grandfather did forty years ago.

However, I am biased since effectively every cent I have comes from income. So maybe take what I say with a grain of salt.