• @Shareni@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    627 days ago

Honestly I think that desktop FF is pretty good, with only minor annoyances like:

• default tabs need to he hidden through CSS
    • setting a page to always open in a container means that, if you want to open it in a different container, you need to change that default container

Mobile FF though? Soo bad, the only redeeming quality is that you can install ublock origin.

• @sabreW4K3@lazysoci.al
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      27 days ago

Please share your thoughts on mobile Firefox as that’s my primary browser. My issues are

• lack of tab grouping
      • tabs are too easy to swipe away
      • you can swipe tabs away when in OS overview mode
      • no mechanism to close duplicate tabs
      • lack of Material Design 3 (Material You)
      • inability to disable password management
      • everything about Places, it feels like history is always the lowest priority and the reality is that I want history as the top priority, synchronized tabs second and search engine suggestions last
      • lack of pinned tabs in the tabs tray
      • getting to picture in picture is stupid
      • now, the iOS-ification of the design
      • edit: forgot but terrible share sheet.
        link
        fedilink
        027 days ago
        • open tabs can take 20+s to load a cached version, when a full refresh takes 1-2s
        • when you open FF, you spin a wheel for what screen will be shown
        • limited extension selection
        • pages are randomly zoomed in
        • closed tabs reopen after you relaunch FF (I’ve had situations where I’d close the same exact tab 20+ times)
        • tab sync is janky as hell (doesn’t show all open tabs, sometimes you need to send the same tab 5 times before you get notifications for all of them at the same time)
        • it sometimes saves your position on the pages, but sometimes not

That’s what I can think off the top of my head.

• @sabreW4K3@lazysoci.al
          link
          fedilink
          327 days ago

when you open FF, you spin a wheel for what screen will be shown

Not sure if it’s helpful, but you know there’s an option for that right? Settings -> Homepage

Other than that, a few of your issues sound like memory issues, so hopefully they can slim the browser down a bit to improve things for you. But your last item reminded me of this bug https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1872511

link
            fedilink
            427 days ago

Not sure if it’s helpful, but you know there’s an option for that right? Settings -> Homepage

Thanks, but I’m pretty sure it’s bugged. I’ve had FF open, receive a call, go back to FF, see the homepage instead of the last tab.

Other than that, a few of your issues sound like memory issues, so hopefully they can slim the browser down a bit to improve things for you.

I really need to get a new phone, 2gb of RAM is not enough, but I’m having a really hard time finding a pixel in my country.

But your last item reminded me of this bug

I think that’s for tab selection. I forgot to list that as well, I’ve got 100+ tabs open and it occasionally jumps to showing the first instead of the last one.

What I meant is: you read an article, and when you’re halfway through you close FF. When you open it, it might continue from where you left off, or it might show you the top of the page.

• neo (he/him)
      link
      fedilink
      English
      527 days ago

To be fair, being able to install uBlock Origin immediately makes it one of the best mobile browsers for that feature alone.