• @beeng
    link
    924 days ago

Only anecdotal but I grew up on a vineyard and my dogs ate grapes, raisins, sultanas all day and all have lived 11-14yo (GSP breed)

• @phdepressed@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      2024 days ago

Most dogs are fine actually. A small seemingly random percentage go into kidney failure so it’s easier and more humane to just not take a chance.

In a similar vein as your dogs but in Asian countries the dogs also eat/get fed leftovers which include plenty of spices, which are also stated online as problematic for dogs.

• Yep. We grew grapes too, multiple varieties. Dogs ate them and had zero ill effects. One of them even stole one of those 1 lb chocolate bars and ate it, the worst effect was a little diarrhea.

Some of these things are way overblown on the internet. OMG your St Bernard ate a grape?!? I’m sure a lot of it has to do with dog weight vs quantity consumed, so a bunch of chocolate for a Chihuahua is a different story vs a German Shepherd. I’m not suggesting it’s OK for dogs to eat these things, just exercise some judgement and call a vet, but the internet freakout is unreasonable.