• Reports suggest Glance is preparing to debut in the U.S. “later this year” following its pilot program with Motorola and Verizon.
  • Sources state Glance will not capture data, but will instead leverage a user’s “patterns” to offer recommendations.
  • Glance states it will not show ads in the U.S., opting for news stories, and it will look to offer a subscription service for "premium news
  • @Fisch
    link
    English
    3925 days ago

It’s not part of Android and not even made by Google

• @ReveredOxygen@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      25 days ago

The first paragraph refers to it as “Google-backed Indian startup Glance”. It’s not part of Android, but Google is involved

• @Fisch
        link
        English
        121 days ago

They back a lot of stuff, doesn’t mean they’ll implement it into Android. If it’s not open source, they can’t make it part of Android anyway.

• @Moonrise2473@feddit.it
          link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          25 days ago

The company that is programming the operating system is investing in a company that makes malware for said operating system. How they can’t be considered involved? Once they invested the $140 million, they would be less likely to consider that malware as such. They won’t block that malware with Google play protect, ignore the privacy issues that would lead to a ban on the play store, and so on.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t don’t see Apple investing even a dollar on a company that is making malware for iPhones

• @jkrtn@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          525 days ago

An investor in a company will push to make that company gain market share. As we can see here.