Just thinking of ditching nextcloud and its just too much for my family use. All i needis carddav, caldav and file sync. Have a Debian VM running on Scale and was thinking of using Cloudron docker install. Is this the way others are installing on VMs?

• @SL3wvmnas
    link
    English
    edit-2
    23 days ago

I currently rent a VM running nextcloud for family use. It currently shows its age with all the nescessary tinkering to keep it current. (also have to use the hosters db which is … difficult)

I’m thinking along the same lines…

a smallffpc at home, dyn to my home ip, wireguard as a vpn into my home, The server runs: radicale caldav carddav, ksmbd family photos.

my main problem: this needs to work on ios and android and linux and windows, reliably, which it currently does not in my test setup.

currently lacking a solution for recipe sharing and shopping list sharing. Maybe setting up nextcloud on my own server is less of a hassle_…

• @IanTwenty@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      123 days ago

Home Assistant can do shared lists and (I’ve not used them) but has some recipe add-ons. There are apps for android and iOS. It can also take care of managing the dynamic IP. Then if you want to explore home automation in future you’re ready to go.

• @SL3wvmnas
        link
        English
        322 days ago

Home Assistant was not on my radar. Thank you!

• Jeena
      link
      fedilink
      English
      123 days ago

I have Linux with GNOME and Android and my partner has iOS and Windows and all the CalDav and CardDav stuff works fine. Or at least adressbook and calendar. I couldn’t find a client for iOS for CalDav notes and tasks.

• lemmyvore
        link
        fedilink
        English
        122 days ago

CalDAV note support is very rare on Android too. I think jtxBoard is the only app that does it and it needs DAVx5 to work.

It’s a terrible pity, it would be great to be able to sync notes to CalDAV if you’re using it for events and tasks and contacts but alas nobody seems interested.

• @SL3wvmnas
        link
        English
        119 days ago

Same. The basic stuff works and i managed to replace recipes with nextcloud cookbook but its quite heavy caldav notes and tasks support on ios would be wonderful but i couldnt find something that integrates into our workflow and systems.