link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

I usually check my emails while on my autopilot commute to work

Also, with a 90-minute commute each way, in 2023, he apparently started sleeping in his car, showering at the factory and microwaving his dinners on days that he was working.

This guy sounds like a fucking idiot.

• korny@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

Sounds like a quiet quitter to me, if only he went above and beyond the expectation I’m sure he’d still be there /s

• Kiosade@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

Yeah why would the managers feel easy if their workers are apparently continuing to work hard up until they quit?

• AutistoMephisto@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

Yeah. Because someone who merely “meets expectations”, you don’t know what they’re thinking. They could be plotting something and you wouldn’t know. Many employers pride themselves on thinking they know what their employees are thinking while on the clock. Meanwhile, the “quiet quitters” are the hardest to read.

• Victor@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Quiet Quitter seems like such an American concept. I feel like America’s work ethic resembles Asian work ethic a lot? Nobody would complain here about someone who is fulfilling their duties without being more enthusiastic about it than necessary, or about not giving it more than they absolutely need to. It’s a job, after all.

Obviously, in some professions you want the worker to be somewhat involved, like a caretaker or doctor or surgeon or teacher. But if they just do what is asked of them, they shouldn’t be called “quitters”… Just my two cents, I guess.

• korny@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          2 months ago

I feel like culture is beginning to change, but there’s so much inner class warfare and competitiveness in some positions that some are blinded to the bigger picture it seems.

Every measly raise I’ve ever gotten, comes with a warning that the company doesn’t want us discussing wages. I feel like a lot don’t see that as the red flag that that is, and are only concerned about themselves in that matter. I’ve always ran to blab to my coworkers make sure we’re all in it together for equal pay

• Chetzemoka@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 months ago

It’s illegal to ask you not to discuss wages in the United States. Violation of federal labor law.

• Riven@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

That’s my first reaction too but it could very well be that the dude can’t afford to lose his job if he’s late. I get it, I have long commutes too.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

I think it was more about checking his email while his car was in Autopilot mode as if that were a safe thing to do.

(For anyone unclear on that, it is absolutely not a safe thing to do.)

• Riven@lemmy.dbzer0.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

Ah fair enough. Yes that’s crazy, I heard of a dude who would take 20 minute naps on his commute home he didn’t even have ‘autopilot’ it was just fucking lane assist and adaptive cruise control. That’s a death waiting to happen.

• redcalcium@lemmy.institute
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

When self-driving cars finally become a reality (working reliably on any condition without constant supervision), I suspect many people would skip buying house and buy these cars instead because it’ll be so much cheaper. After work, you hop into your car and take a nap, then wake up in a diner’s parking lot. Go back to the car again after eating to sleep, and wake up in the morning already in your office’s parking lot. Basically homeless but never need to worry about cop because the car constantly moves while you’re sleeping, making circuit around the city until it finally take you back to your office’s parking lot.