• Karyoplasma
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

Ever woke up and noticed a small zit or pimple? Yep, that’s likely a staph infection, although there might be some streptococcus in there as well. They probably also entered your blood stream, but got quickly eliminated by your immune system. It’s all about the bacterial load.

Which is why you should not scratch wounds, even when they itch really bad. Here is a pic of my leg from almost a year ago, it got out of control because I kept scratching the wound and ignored the occasional flaring pain until it got so bad that I almost passed out when moving my leg. This is a combination of staph aureus and strep pyogenes when they really thrive in your wound. If those had been resistant strains, I would have been in a lot of trouble.

graphic image

• Karyoplasma
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

Well, shortly before Christmas 2022, a friend from out of town came over to drink and reconnect. Somewhat late into the evening, I was going to the refrigerator to get some more beer and on my way there I have to pass 2 devious steps totaling about 15cm in height. I slipped, or tripped -I don’t really remember-, and fell bang on the edge of the upper step. A fair bit of my tumble was cushioned by my behind (left a bruise there) and the rest was absorbed by my leg. Pic below was from the morning after and the pic in my post above was after a month of scratching that wound and ignoring the damage I inflicted.

It’s a pretty neat comparison, you can really see the swelling and which parts of the wounds were surface scratches and which went deeper.

less graphical image