• @skillissuerM
    link
    English
    118 days ago

you don’t need to check everything. let’s say that spot is 10px wide, then you can check every 8th pixel meaning now you only need to check 16x12 px. then, maximum is gotta be in one of these 8x8 squares around shiny pixel, so you can sample middle of each to find out where it might be. then, scan that 8x8 square pixel by pixel to find maximum

this might be reason for not using absurdly good optics

• @remotelove@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      018 days ago

Ok, that is smart. That would probably get the logic fast enough to keep up with the sensor “refresh rate” when pixel values are buffered from each sensor pixel. (My knowledge of digital camera sensors is a bit primitive. I read (or watched?) something a few months ago about image tearing caused by sensor scanning. This might matter, to a small degree? Dunno.)

My guess was that the lenses would be for filtering through whatever IR band is important and it’s those coatings that are the quality bit: https://www.edmundoptics.com/c/ir-lenses/655/

I am wondering if you can get lenses crafted specifically for jet engine IR signatures. If so, that would really boost the capabilities of any sensor…

• @skillissuerM
        link
        English
        118 days ago

that’s for wii, imaging sensor in a missile will be much more complex and probably includes UV sensor as well (you’re not tracking a blob, but shape)