• Halcyon
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

Answer is no. Google Ads doesn’t work that way. If you perceive such a coincidence, it just happened by chance or you or your wife sent out other signals that buying new shoes is a topic for you.

• Cosmic Cleric@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

If you perceive such a coincidence, it just happened by chance or you or your wife sent out other signals that buying new shoes is a topic for you.

None of that happened though. It was on a long car trip, no Internet web browsing done, and no previous searches done from home.

The only time shoes were relevant was a verbal discussion in the vehicle.

Anti Commercial-AI license (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0)

• Halcyon
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

Still a high chance for a coincidence. And the human mind tends to see patterns to structure the world. Shoe advertisement is not particularly rare in the web.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          2 months ago

Still a high chance for a coincidence.

How? Its an isolated environment where the conversation is being had.

And the human mind tends to see patterns to structure the world.

Its an explicit viewing of a commercial of a type that is not normally seen. Not exactly a pattern.

Shoe advertisement is not particularly rare in the web.

I never saw any on YouTube until the evening of that conversation. /shrug

• Halcyon
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 months ago

Coincidence in the sense that the ad that you saw had absolutely no connection to your talk. It was just a random ad. No all advertisements are targeted precisely. I work in the field and a lot of campaigns on YouTube are just targeted to a selected YT-channel, or a topic like sport videos, or maybe an age group. That’s all. You see an ad because you watched a channel. Like on TV.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              2 months ago

Coincidence in the sense that the ad that you saw had absolutely no connection to your talk. It was just a random ad.

I’m willing to admit that’s possible, but when I haven’t seen any for a couple of years (truly), and then see one the same evening, that seems like more than just a coincidence to me. /shrug