• Bonesince1997@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Exactly what I thought. Thanks for the new fear, brotha! I hated these guys growing up. Think I still do. They were always around a pool changing area, and that set a fear in me for life I believe.

• Grabthar@lemmy.worldOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I didn’t see these until I was 10 or so, when we moved further south. They were equal parts cool and horrifying, but they made my mother uncomfortable. So she would call the kids out to mash them if she saw one. Became a regular service. We even drew up a logo for it at one point - a kind of cartoonish earwig with the no symbol around it.

• Grabthar@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

On the plus side, it’s a glide rather than a powered flight, and it’s apparently rarely done.

• waitmarks@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

That is actually why they are called earwigs, its an old english word that’s describing the shape of their wings which kind of looks like a human ear.

• june@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

So you’re telling me it’s NOT because they like to crawl into your ears while you’re asleep?

• meanmon13@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

This is blowing my mind right now… Those things gave me nightmares as a kid thinking they crawl into people’s ears…

• Chailles@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

If you want to lose the solace that fact has provided you, here’s another possibly also false but no less comforting bit of trivia:

spoiler

Leeches after feeding would love nothing more than a dark, somewhat moist, somewhat warm, somewhat tight environment. Which a human has and is probably something you don’t want a leech to get anywhere near, be glad there’s no such thing as a Analwig. Oh and land leeches exist.

• Oisteink@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

In Norwegian they are called Klypedyr. Literal translation is pinching-animal (although we call it an insect). I always though that was scary as a kid, but I see now my trauma is tiny compared to ear-infesting-wig-wearing thingy. I still don’t like them, but I tolerate them

• Neuraxis@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

I regrettably went to wiki to read more and found this unsettling fact:

“The largest extant species is the Australian giant earwig (Titanolabis colossea) which is approximately 50 mm (2 in) long”

• meeshen@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

That’s where this insect family gets its latin name: Dermaptera, i.e. “skin wing”, as the wings are usually hidden under a leathery flap. They also are super complex in the way they unfold from under these flaps.

Also, earwigs are completely harmless and cool and should be left alone. If anything, they can be beneficial in gardens, as they hunt other, harmful insects.

• poweruser@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Harmless in the sense that they aren’t dangerous, but they are capable of biting. Source: one was in my headphones a few years back and was biting my ear. I initially thought my headphones were just really itchy.

In my headphones!

shudders

I still check my headphones every time before putting them on now

• intensely_human@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

They probably couldn’t before, but it got revised in a mandela effect update.

Also the rumors that they got their name by burrowing into sleeping people’s ears is grossly exaggerated. There have been no double blind studies showing this conclusion, and the Himalayan artwork depicting earwig-zombified villagers attacking a temple has been debunked as popular fiction art from the 14th century.

• intensely_human@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

The science is settled. Aside from the reports of ancient historians, rumors of earwig apocalypse are without sufficient supporting data to rule out alternative explanations.

• Behaviorbabe@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

A few of these made it into my house and my cat saved me from two crawling on the bed. I’d rather swallow a spider than have these things crawl on me. Idk what the ick factor is.