My wife is a phlebotomist. She requested a way to strap the blood tubes on her arm and this is what I came up with. She used it for the first time last night and was in love with it.

• fmstrat@lemmy.nowsci.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Honestly, if you are doing well for yourself, post these files and spread the word on medical forums. If you’re not, stop posting this on Lemmy, go to a patent attorney (assuming others don’t exist), and sell these. This is a wonderful idea, and while I’m almost always for giving away when you can, this is one of those moments where a simple thing is 100% genius. Good on you.

• Underinformed33@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Thank you. Never would have thought about patenting something like this. Will have to see if a patent already exist. Will have to look into that eventually. Still in Testing phase currently.

• Ejh3k@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Seriously, delete the post. Document every step of the way. Let me know of you need angel investment money. This is a gold mine.

• Ejh3k@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Yeah, the potential for a medical place to hank this idea because it saves their techs 6 minutes a day each, ends up being millions a year, per company. OP is legit sitting on a billion dollar idea.

• Bearbie@lemmy.world
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

As a phlebotomist, this is an amazing idea. Patent and sell this idea, my dude.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

You and another person said the same thing. Really surprised something like this isn’t common place already. A quick search shows cloth versions of this with elastic which seems dubious at best.

• ForestOrca@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

This is a better design. One is always reaching for the next tube. With this it’s easily, and safely within reach. Awesome!!

• Wrench@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Have you tried a sorts sweat band? I swear I remember one of the people drawing my blood using one and thought it was clever.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I made a version with thicker clamps and it became too hard to insert and remove the tubes. I printed this with petg which has more flex than something like pla. In testing phase now though. So we will see how it holds up.

• Overzeetop@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I think it’s great, and PETg is a fine choice. I’d be curious what TPU would be like (easier to deflect and a little grippy…but maybe too grippy).

Another possibility would be to make a mold and run it with a stiff silicone. There’s a trick of filling the mold with very warm beeswax and then dumping the excess wax out that fills all the pores before you pour in the silicone. I’m just thinking out loud of a way to easily make this heat sterilizable or autoclavable as well as easily reproducible.

Best of luck - it’s great to see practical prints!!

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

It’s a keychron number pad. Don’t remember exact model though. You should be able to find it on their site.

• Nerdybynature@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I worked in vet medicine and this is such a good idea for when you’re wrangling a dog or cat for diagnostics.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Haha. Never would have thought of a vets office for this. Funny you talk about wrangling the animals. My wife works in a hospital and has to deal with combative patients on occasion. She said it’s great for thos le circumstances.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Yeah. So my wife works in a hospital and depending on the patient she alot of the time has very limited options on where she can lay her tubes down when drawing blood so instead of looking for a place to put them she can just have them strapped to her arm. She said it comes in handy when you have a combative patient.

• -spam-@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Looks great my dude!

Have you thought about doing another version for pediatric tubes?