• Giyuu@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I love watching liberals lose their shit over this. They’re getting absolutely destroyed by their corporate overlords.

• Yankeebobo@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

What users of Reddit are not realizing when they bash Apollo is that this is more than Apollo. It’s all third party apps. And this goes beyond third party Reddit clients. It’s also custom bots that “help” keep those subs clean-ish. People do not comprehend exactly what is impacted by API changes. The mods see it, people don’t.

• 201dberg@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

The admins are banning mods and replacing them. All the subs will be back eventually. Libs will go back there once they either get bored over here or tired of having to actually see ideals that are different than theirs. It will become Facebook 2.0 and be even more filled with Westwood propaganda.

• debased@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

There’s already news of Reddit execs forcing mods to reopen their subs, or else they’ll replace the entire mod team with one that’s willing to obey

• knfrmity@lemmygrad.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

How to say the blackout is hurting their bottom line without admitting it’s hitting their bottom line.

• rostselmasch@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

It is kind of sad regarding other communities, espacially non-political like r/cptsd, r/pigeons (people loved my pigeons there) or r/geese. Its cool if you can show someone a picture of your pigeon and its getting a positive response.

• zila@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I do wonder if this could turn into a bigger problem for Reddit. I’m super new to Lemmy - I always liked how Reddit works from a ui/functionality perspective but I didn’t like how the site was run or honestly even the people on the site. But I heard about Lemmy because of this and I think I like Lemmy better.

It just reminds me of what happened with Digg. Lots of small problems then a short series of bigger management fumbles made Digg go from the biggest link aggregator on the net to some obscure site nobody’s heard of in like 5 years. I think it’s a little harder for big sites like Reddit to fail nowadays but regardless - platforms like Lemmy show that Reddit doesn’t really have anything special going for it besides a larger userbase.

• MaoWasRight@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

It was easier to leave digg back then. The ‘normie’ non-techie audience wasn’t as big in the era and they mostly stuck to MySpace and buzzfeed. Digg was where the tech nerds went and thus the nerds had the power.

The non-techies are now the largest user base of reddit and they don’t care about the changes and will continue their usage. The executives know this and are moving things to curtail to that audience. These are the same people that don’t run adblock or ghostery and will click on ads and pay for awards.

Huffman doesn’t give a shit about us or the small niche communities we have created. Forums are dead. Reddit powers Google. He wants to turn reddit into a social media platform, as it sorta already has become.